Coat of Arms of the Royal Burgh of Earlsferry and Elie

Elie & Earlsferry History Society

Get to know your local history

find us on Facebook

Explore

Chairman’s Newsletter – May 2017

Chairmans Newsletter May 2017

Doom Park aka Dome Park Earlsferry

Dome or Doom Park Earlsferry The area of ground stretching from the top of the road at Chapel Green round the point as far as the road down to West Bay across the golf course and the area currently occupied by Earlsneuk and Craigforth houses was at one time the…

THE MARS TRAINING SHIP AND ELIE by Gordon Douglas

The ‘Mars Training Ship for Homeless and Destitute Boys’ was moored on the river Tay at Woodhaven harbour, Wormit, Fife from 1869 to 1929. The growth of major cities, due to the expansion of mills and the availability of thousands of jobs, drew in people from all over Scotland and…

INDIGO MILLS AT ELIE (C.P. Biggam)

Following a query from Etienne Rogier about “indigo mills” at Elie, and discussion with Graham Johnston of the Elie and Earlsferry History Society, investigations were carried out as far as the evidence allowed. The source of the information is a brief paragraph in the Practical Mechanic’s Journal, series 2, volume…

LOCAL WORTHIES – Jean Redpath MBE (1937-2014)

Internationally regarded as the pre-eminent interpreter of Scots song, Jean Redpath has taken the ballads of her home country and particularly the songs of Robert Burns onto stages from the Lincoln Center, New York to Sydney Opera House and from Alaska to South America and Hong Kong. Jean was a…

The Rock Formations Around Elie Bay

A fantastic new resource has been produced with the aim of being the definitive guide to the many rock formations and bays along the Elie and Earlsferry coastline. This magnificent piece of work has been prepared by Steve Blaney with information from Jimmy Linton, Philip Scott and Albert Lawrie. We are grateful to them…

The Life of Thomas Buist – a Fife photographer

The story of Thomas Buist by Michael T. Tracy, his Third Great Nephew. Click link below to open story.  A Fife Photographer The Life of Thomas Buist

ELIE & EARLSFERRY ROLL OF HONOUR

Names taken from local newspapers and Council Minutes 1914 and early 1915 Researched and compiled by Alan Provan. Published in August 2014 to mark the Centenary of The Great War   Adams, Ord. Muircambus Lieutenant.   Royal Field Artillery Affleck, William G. Rankeillor Street. Bank Accountant. Private. Canadian Corps. Affleck, George B….

Elie Ness Lighthouse

In the very early part of the 20th century pressure was building on the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses for the erection of a lighthouse on Elie Ness a promontory of land on the North coast of the Firth of Forth between the Isle of May and Inchkeith. Master Mariners of…

Local Quiz

Test your knowledge of local history with this quiz (answers below) What have the following Elie people in common – William Duddingston, William James & Andrew Wood? Where were the first premises of Elie and Earlsferry Sailing Club? Garland, Thomson and Reekie et al used to rent out what during…