Elie & Earlsferry History Society
Registered Charity No: SC035015 Elie Library, Siward Lane, Elie KY9 1AZ
Newsletter – January 2014
The committee of the Society intends to produce, at regular intervals, information sheets of what is going on the villages and surroundings which may be of interest to members.
- The committee have decided that at least for an experimental period the members are invited to meet at the Elie Coffee Shop High Street on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month. Commencing on Wednesday 12th February. The intention is to provide a forum for discussion and informal chat about the society, the villages and things about their history. Do please come along – say about 10.45 am. Treat yourself to a cup of tea or coffee while we talk. Why not bring along a photograph that you have, an artefact, or even an idea or memory that you would like to share or questions you want answered. Pick our collective brains.
- We have of course the Quiz night on 7th February which as always proves popular. Tickets from the newsagent or direct from Graham Meacher. George will be doing his usual question master routine and there will be a local history quiz to tax the memories. Do come along….you don’t need to have a four as we will make up tables on the night. A bargain at £12.50 and catering by Findlay and Lachlan of the Pavilion.
- There are meetings in the Church Hall, firstly on 13th March when Ronnie Sinclair will tell us about his researches into the golf club makers of Elie and even some pseudo golf club makers who jumped on the band wagon. Come along and see what he has collected over the years,
- On 10th April we will have the first of “An evening with ….” which will take the form of a discussion and interview with someone locally who has a history to tell. The first one with be with Euan Harvie-Watt who will tell us all about his childhood and upbringing in Earlsneuk and the notable world figures who visited this tiny neck of the woods.
- On 8th May, the last meeting of this season, Tom Scotland will tell us about the war graves and the research he has done in relation to those who fell in both wars. Particularly topical in that our Exhibition this year will feature the Villages during Wartime.
- We are busy preparing the programme for the next session and in addition to “An evening with ….” someone else we are looking at a tripartite discussion about various big houses in the villages and the notables who lived there. Learn for example about the Golf Hotel, Earlsneuk , Craigforth etc. Various members of the Society are currently doing research into these matters and will reveal all ….. Well maybe almost all.
- During the summer in July and early August we will be reviving the very popular Historical Walks. The plan is to have one each in July and August: one in Elie and one in Earlsferry. Volunteers may be needed to assist as guides. Weather permitting it should interest all including visitors who do not know the villages very well.
- Outing We are currently putting together a programme devised by Janet Bulloch of visiting the sporting venues in Glasgow including those to be used for the Commonwealth games. We will advise later of the arrangements.
- We will be canvassing the membership shortly as to what the members would like the Society to arrange and what the membership wants the Society to do. They will be available at the Quiz night – please fill them up and “ask not what you can do for the Society but what the Society can do for you”… actually both please.