Elie Water Fountain/Pump
This is the entry in a website of ornamental fountains and it details the Elie Water Fountain. It is claimed that the date is 1869 and that is engraved on the base. However there was an earlier pump here as can be seen by the ordnance survey map of 1853 which shows a water pump close to the toll point (TP).
By the next edition in 1890 or so the toll gate has gone and the pump is shown.
Location: Elie, Fife, Scotland
The cast iron structure at Toll Green in Elie often referred to as a drinking fountain was actually a cow tailed pump. It was erected in 1869 as engraved on the base; George Smith & Co Sun Foundry Glasgow 1869.
This octagonal shaped pump is design #8 from the catalogue of George Smith & Co. The single pillar with attic base hosted 8 inset arched panels of which six were for dedication. Two panels were used for the water spout and the cow tailed lever. When the pump was no longer used to supply water, these were removed and replaced with blank panels. Entablature with bolt consoles sits beneath an ogee cupola with alternate panels of fleur de lys motif.
A single column supported a six sided glass pane lantern which was capped with a ball and spike finial. The lamp has been replaced with an open sphere and spike finial atop a column with floral relief. Yoke maintenance arms that originally supported the lamp-lighter’s ladder are still in evidence. A small trough set into the base of the structure was for the use of dogs.
In 2001 Elie and Earlsferry Community Council raised funds to refurbish the pump as a millennium project. Acknowledged as the only remaining example of this design in Scotland, it was recorded as a Category C historic building on 9 August 2012.
with thanks to https://memorialdrinkingfountains.wordpress.com
A similar pump is found in Faversham in Kent.